Elvington is a neat parish town, 7 miles from York, with a population of 405 persons.
The Church is a Rectory, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and valued in the Liber regis at £5 17s 8and a half pence. The Patronage is in the King.
It is a modern edifice of brick with stone quoins, and consists of a nave, chancel, and embattled west end tower. The east end finishes with a semi-hexagon, and all the windows are pointed in a semi-gothic style. The interior is neat, and has a gallery at the west end. This church was erected in 1801 by the Rev A Cheap LLB, Rector.
The village is small but neat, and contains 2 chapels, one for the Wesleyan Methodists erected about 20 years ago, and another for the Primitive Methodists, built in 1821.
There is a school for the education of 20 boys, the master of which has £20 per annum.
J Spence Esq is Lord of the Manor
A new and complete history of the county of York by Thomas Allen 1829
Click picture to enter